Total Pageviews

Thursday 9 April 2015



COFFEE
The first coffee plant was found in the mountains of Yemen.  Then by 1500 it was exported to the rest of the world through the port of Mokha in Yemen.
Thus was the birth and introduction to mankind!  How many folk have made this miracle bean part of their daily lives?
 “There are two methods of processing the coffee berries.  The first method is “wet processing”, which is usually carried out in Central America and areas of Africa.  The flesh of the berries is separated from the seeds and then the seeds are fermented - soaked in water for about two days.  This dissolves any pulp or sticky residue that may still be attached to the seeds.
The “dry processing” method is cheaper and simpler, used for lower quality beans in Brazil and much of Africa.  Twigs and other foreign objects are separated from the berries and the fruit is them spread out in the sun on concrete or brick for 2 – 3 weeks, turned regularly for even drying”  Wikipedia
Enough of technical details!  Now for the nitty gritty down-to-earth significance of the magical brew.
Ask any of your best friends what the first thing is that they desire when they wake up in the morning.  Most will say ...  COFFEE.  Not for me that time of day.  Delicious black, bitter rooibos tea gives me a good start for the day.  But, admittedly, in the vicinity of 10 am, my coffee-urge attacks me.  I feel lightheaded and a dull headache and obsessive thoughts of the “C” word overrule all other.
How many ways can coffee be made?  Well, the ordinary old instant coffee with cold milk is one boring option ... Second could be ground coffee in a plunger with hot milk.  My all-time homemade favourite is the freshly ground beans percolated, with milk which has been frothed to perfection.  This is my daily reward after I have done my chores around the house
When I walk around in one of our local shopping malls, the devilish fragrance of freshly ground coffee beckons me with its wickedly decadent twirls of aroma which waft directly to my ever-willing nose!  I take deep breaths and savour this – I cannot resist finding a table to order my daily fix!
Darn, I first have get rid of the tongue in my cheek so that I can enjoy my cuppa!  Good stuff!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ek doen maar die boring kitskoffie en koue melk een ...

Douglas said...

sigh.... unfortunately a anginal fibrillation prevent me from drinking coffee/
Miss that so much ( everyone say "shame")

linniegee said...

One, two, three ... S H A M E !!! ��

Douglas said...

boo hoo ...

Ann said...

I think my name means Coffee!